Szczecin, Poland - Central Cemetery Chapel

The chapel (GPS 53.417516,14.524392) was built in 1902. Since the end of the WW2 it was not in use and, as there was no on-site security, it was consistently vandalized. In 1981, as a result of arson, the chapel lost its original wood frame roof. Restoration of the chapel consisted of the reconstruction of building elements lost in the fire, restoration of surviving walls and reinstating original function of the building as a chapel and crematory. Since there was no measure drawings or any original or as found documentation, reconstruction of the roof was based on available photographs. A steel frame for the new roof was designed by structural engineer Leon Bućko.

Szczecin - cemetery chapel during restoration. (Photo by B. LUCKI)

Szczecin - cemetery chapel during restoration. (Photo by B. LUCKI)

Szczecin - cemetery chapel. Condition in 2000. (Photo by B. LUCKI)

Szczecin - cemetery chapel. Condition in 2000. (Photo by B. LUCKI)