Batoche, Canada - Church

Batoche National Historic Site is a place where in 1885 the Métis fought a battle for independence from Canada. The church was constructed in 1884 (GPS 52.752367,-106.117482). The tower was added four years later. In 1985 the building underwent major upgrades to match the Building Code. Originally the exterior Red River Frame walls sat on shallow stone foundation wall. This situation combined with a very windy environment resulted in significant movement of the building which weakened the structural stability of the church. A full basement and steel wall bracing were recommended in February 1998. Upon the Saskatchewan Superintendent's approval, the proposal was consulted with Ottawa conservation engineers and accepted by them at the later date.

The conservation design addressed the issue of church stability along with some other problems associated with improper protection of wood elements from precipitation. A structural design was prepared by Ottawa Conservation Engineers. The church was relocated and after construction of the new full basement, it was moved back to its original location.

Batoche Church - general view after restoration. (Photo by B. LUCKI)

Batoche Church - interior view during restoration. (Photo by B. LUCKI)

Batoche Church - interior view after restoration. (Photo by B. LUCKI)






























Examples of sketches provided to the Regional Restoration Workshop during construction.













>